Have you heard how much good coconut oil is for hair? Coconut oil helps to keep hair strong, shiny and healthy-looking. If you go back to the ancient beauty routines, you will see how much coconut oil was used on hair back then. Even today if you look at the label of hair cosmetics, you will surely see coconut oil as a core ingredient in many hair cosmetics.
Coconut oil is one of the richest natural sources of MCFA, medium-chain fatty acids. MCFAs are some special types of fatty acid that are enriched with anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-microbial properties. Coconut oil particularly has a high amount of C12 chains of MCFA which is known as Lauric Acid.
Lauric Acid is highly beneficial for hormonal health and cellular health. This acid can be naturally found in breast milk. The Lauric Acid in coconut oil can help reduce protein loss in hair and act as an active element in making hair strong and healthy. Coconut oil is the only oil that can penetrate deep into the hair easily unlike other hair oils. So coconut oil can be a blessing for your hair.
As coconut oil is not very common oil for hair, you may have questions, why use coconut oil for hair and how it is helpful. That’s why this article is all about the goodness of coconut oil for hair.
If you want to know why use coconut oil for hair keep on reading.
- Natural and No Side Effects: You can never negotiate with the idea of using natural ingredients for your hair and skin. Because natural ingredients come with no side effects at all. Instead, they are filled with all the goodness of nature. Nowadays, the market is full of so many harsh chemical products that it’s hard to find something natural there. Those chemicals present in the cosmetic may seem to do wonder at first, but in the long run, they do more harm than doing good. The chemicals that penetrate into the scalp can even lead to skin cancer. That’s why using coconut oil for your hair can prevent any risk of skin problems and do wonder to your hair.
- Anti-Bacterial Properties: Coconut oil is enriched with medium-chain fatty acids or MCFA. These MCFAs are greatly known for their anti-bacterial properties. They can protect your scalp from bacteria, viral infections, and protozoa attacks. Even, coconut oil has anti-microbial properties that can help your hair from turning into grey. In this way, coconut oil helps to maintain scalp health and keep ideal hair.
- Helps Reduce Protein Loss: Our hair is fully composed of proteins. That’s why any loss of protein in hair leads to weak and unhealthy hair. These weak hairs are prone to get easily broken. The Lauric Acid in coconut oil is an active element of cellular health. It can reduce protein loss in hair and keep the protein bond in hair strong. Researchers say that coconut oil is the only oil that is capable of reducing protein loss in hair.
- Deep Conditioning: Coconut oil can be used as a natural conditioner. It penetrates into the hair and retains the moisture. If coconut oil is used on a regular basis, it can moisturize the hair from within and keep the hair smooth and silky. It can even help the hair heal from environmental damage.
- Fatigue Prevention: There’s a term “Hygral Fatigue” used in cosmetic science. Hygral fatigue occurs from over swelling and de-swelling of hair cuticles. This fatigue occurs more in porous hair. Porous hair tends to take more water when it’s wet and expands easily. Under the dry condition, the hair shrinks back to its original state. This expansion damages the hair fiber and leads to break the protein bond of hair. Coconut oil has great hygral prevention properties that can help the hair remain healthy.
- Hair Loss Reduction: As coconut oil can penetrate deep into the hair and give nutrition to the scalp from within, it makes the hair root strong and reduces hair fall problems. Also, coconut oil can generate hair growth.
- Lice Treatment: Coconut oil is a natural ingredient that can kill lice. Apply coconut oil on the scalp and hair and massage it thoroughly. Let it sit for 2 hours and then wash it off. Repeat this process a few days and all the lice will be gone.
How to Use Coconut Oil for Best Results?
Take the required amount of coconut oil in a container according to your hair length and density. Heat it in the microwave for 30 to 40 seconds. Then apply the warm oil in your hair. Apply some in your scalp and massage your scalp for 5 minutes. Then cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it for at least 40 minutes. Then wash your hair properly with shampoo. If you have dry hair, then try to use it before sleeping. Then wash it off the next day. If you have an oily scalp then don’t keep it for more than 40minutes. For the best results, use coconut oil in your hair 2 to 3 times a week. You can even mix coconut oil with other oils for additional results.
Some Frequently Asked Questions
Do you use coconut oil on dry hair or wet hair?
You need to put coconut oil on dry hair. Then massage it thoroughly in your whole hair. You will eventually feel it moisturizing your hair.
Can coconut oil help your hair grow back?
Coconut oil is enriched with natural anti-oxidants and nutrients, mainly vitamin K, vitamin E, and Irons. These nutrients can generate new hair and boost hair growth if applied regularly. But keep in mind that natural ingredients take a long time to show its effectiveness. That’s why you have to patiently use them.
Does coconut oil help in thinning hair?
Well, the answer is no. Coconut oil is enriched with nutrients and medium-chain fatty acids. They help to thicken the hair and make them strong and healthy.
Well, now you know why use coconut oil for hair. Coconut oil is so much enriched with nutrients that as a natural ingredient, it can make the hair smooth, shiny and promote hair growth. If you want to have healthy-looking hair, be sure to use coconut oil.